Please note, the programme is fairly flexible and can begin at most points during the year.
The Lawyers in Schools team assists with the presentation to budget holders and explains how the programme can be tailored to individual organisations including the involvement of clients.
Once a decision is made the Lawyers in Schools team sends the legal organisation a Service Agreement to be signed by both the Citizenship Foundation and the law firm/in-house legal team/Chambers.
- The Lawyers in Schools team prepares a shortlist of schools
- The law firm/in-house legal team/Chambers selects its school
- The Lawyers in Schools team contacts the school and recruits a coordinating teacher
- A Memorandum of Understanding is drawn up and signed by the Citizenship Foundation, the participating law firm, in-house legal team/Chambers and the school.
The legal organisation nominates a staff member to liaise with the Lawyers in Schools team
- The Lawyers in Schools team assists the legal organisation with the recruitment of a minimum of 10 volunteers.
- A member of the Lawyers in Schools team runs a two hour training session, which includes facilitation tips, how to engage young people, child protection and how to use the materials.
- The Lawyers in Schools team liaises with the the law firm/in-house legal team/Chambers and the school to schedule in six sessions (each is usually up to an hour)
- Four or five volunteers attend each session to work with small groups of Year 10 students
- Each session covers a different area of law and is run using the provided materials
- At the first and final session students complete evaluation forms to allow us to measure the impacts
- At the end of the final session volunteers give students their certiciates and Young Citizen's Passport provided by the Citizenship Foundation
Volunteers, volunteer coordinators and teachers are sent an online evaluation survey and the results from all participants are measured for both a generic evaluation report (please click here to see a copy of the most recent) and law firm/in-house legal team/Chambers specific ones.